Üdv, Vendég
Felhasználóinév: Jelszó: Emlékezz rám

TÉMA: Dr. Elaine Ingham - Soil food web

Dr. Elaine Ingham - Soil food web 10 éve 4 hónapja #9242

• kovibali
  • kovibali profilkép
  • TÁVOL
  • Köszönetek száma: 261
This week's guest is Dr. Elaine Ingham, a world-renowned soil microbiologist.

Dr. Ingham pioneered many of the currently used biological soil-amendment techniques and also pioneered the testing of soil biology as an indicator of soil and plant health. She founded the Sustainable Studies Institute as an educational institution and the company Soil Foodweb Inc. which currently has soil testing labs in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, the UK, and Mexico, helping farmers all over the world to grow more resilient crops by understanding and improving their soil life. Dr. Ingham is the key author of the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture’s  Soil Biology Primer and has been the mentor of numerous soil scientists and practitioners of ecologically balanced landscape design, gardening, and farming all over the world.  

Possible topics: soil food web, soil preparing, soil amending, soil testing, soil microorganisms, composting, compost tea, plant disease prevention, ect.

The topic will be open from 2 to 8 December .

Please read the rules: www.permaforum.hu/permaforum/index.php/f...nivalok-es-szabalyok

If you're looking for basic information on the subject, read this: www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/soils/health/biology/

Please welcome Dr. Ingham to Permaforum!
Utolsó szerkesztés: 10 éve 3 hónapja Beküldte: kovibali.
Téma zárolva.
Az alábbi felhasználók mondtak köszönetet: ecovitka, tisztamo, AttilaK, béla

Dr. Elaine Ingham - Soil food web 10 éve 3 hónapja #9400

• kovibali
  • kovibali profilkép
  • TÁVOL
The topic is open now, have a great time! :)
Téma zárolva.

Dr. Elaine Ingham - Soil food web 10 éve 3 hónapja #9401

• kovibali
  • kovibali profilkép
  • TÁVOL
...and the first icebreaker question(s):

If I just started a new garden/field and before planting/seeding I want to amend the poor soil (dirt) with compost top dressing (without any kind of tilling, plowing, etc.) how long does it take to get better soil (better structure, better food web) in needed depth?

I understand that microbes are moved by bigger creaters pretty fast , but what about organic matter? Is OM moved by the same beings? How long does it take OM getting in to the soil? How long does it take to alter the structure of the soil by the microbes? Weeks, months, years? If I want to speed up the process is it ok to work the compost in to the soil? I understand many drawbacks of tilling but I feel that at the begining it could be ok to till, because there is not to much to destroy and I can win some time. What is the trade off, what should I consider? And if time is no object what is the best approache of amending a poor soil before planting?

Thank you Elaine!
Téma zárolva.

Dr. Elaine Ingham - Soil food web 10 éve 3 hónapja #9402

• AttilaK
  • AttilaK profilkép
  • TÁVOL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Köszönetek száma: 318
..and the second.

Dear Elaine,

My project is to support the soil food web on my new farmland, where the biological processes do not work, despite my best efforts to feed the soil.
I do not see any sign of decomposition within the accumulated debris, mulched stalk, straw on the surface or incorporated into the soil. Even the alfalfa hay is intact underground and on the surface equally.
The yearly precipitation is 3oo-4oo mm, the clay loam soil (the "minute soil" type) is always covered with plants, green manure, large variety of cover crops (8-15 ways mixes) for 3 years, since I am waiting for the processes to begin.
I am going to inoculate the soil, plants, seeds to establish the life from the early spring.
However using compost tea (I do not have access to significant amount of compost yet), I would be able to increase the diversity of bacteria and fungi.
What is the most efficient way to increase the quantity and quality of the beneficial arthropods and nematodes? How should I inoculate the soil with these beneficial guys in large numbers and variety?
Nem az a beteg, aki nem alkalmazkodik egy abnormális világhoz.
Utolsó szerkesztés: 10 éve 3 hónapja Beküldte: AttilaK.
Téma zárolva.

Dr. Elaine Ingham - Soil food web 10 éve 3 hónapja #9403

• tisztamo
  • tisztamo profilkép
  • TÁVOL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Köszönetek száma: 260
Dear Elaine,

Thank you for answering our questions, this is a great pleasure for us!

My first question is a practical one: In our area the soil is generally considered unproductive, it is clayey sometimes without topsoil. Our family garden is a lot better, it was grassland for decades, maybe centuries. It has about 6" good topsoil, but under that it is very compacted, there is virtually no root activity, even big trees fail to penetrate.

Our big problem is water retention so I would like to deepen the topsoil. Do you think this is the good answer to the problem? What is the best method for doing that? These are what I plan to try out (besides adding organic matter and mulching):

- Aerating the undersoil with a broadfork: I have already tried it, it definitely helps a little in that year but I don't know if it also has positive effect on the soil.

- Simply mixing the topsoil with the next yellow layer.

- Removing the topsoil, mixing biochar to the undersoil and putting the topsoil back. (Mixing 4kg/m2 biochar to the topsoil had no visible effect.)
Utolsó szerkesztés: 10 éve 3 hónapja Beküldte: tisztamo.
Téma zárolva.

Dr. Elaine Ingham - Soil food web 10 éve 3 hónapja #9404

• gergo
  • gergo profilkép
  • TÁVOL
  • Administrator
  • Köszönetek száma: 442
Hi Elaine,

My question is a practical one. Could you recommend a microscope that is affordable for home use and good enough to see the little creatures in our soil and compost. What would be the specifications for one?

Thanks,
--
Gergő
Téma zárolva.
Oldal elkészítésének ideje: 0.133 másodperc
Az fórum motorja a Kunena Fórum